Monday, May 27, 2013

Pledge given by Dr Ambedkar to Buddhist People

         Pledge given by Dr Ambedkar to Buddhist People

On the eve of the great conversion at Nagpur on October 14, 1956 Dr. 
Ambedkar said that Buddhism could serve not only India, but the 
world. Buddhism is indispensable to world peace and he asked 
Buddhists to pledge not only to liberate themselves but also elevate 
their country and the world. He said,“By discarding my ancient 
religion which stood for inequality and oppression, today I am reborn. I 
have no faith in the philosophy of incarnation; and it is wrong and 
mischievous to say that Buddha was an incarnation of Vishnu. I am 
no more a devotee of any Hindu god or goddess. I will not perform 
shradha. I will strictly follow the eightfold path of Buddha. Buddhism 
is a true religion and I will lead a life guided by the three principles of 
knowledge, right path and compassion.” 
Dr. Ambedkar denounced Hinduism, its customs and traditions, and 
declared that from that moment onwards he would strive for the spread 
of equality among people. To us ,he explained that “a great 
responsibility had fallen on your shoulders in connection with the 
upholding of Buddhism; and if you would not follow rigidly and 
nobly the principles of Buddhism, it would mean that the Mahars 
reduced it to a miserable state.” 
Dr. Ambedkar set the wheel of Dhamma in motion once again, 
spreading the message of his Master. Buddhists feel that, “the 
Dhamma Chakra was set to revolution by Dr.Ambedkar and it was the 
greatest religious revolution which India had witnessed in modern 
times.” 
The following are the 22 golden rules Buddhist has to follow:
1. I will not accept Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh as God and will not 
worship them. 
2. I will not accept Rama and Krishna as God and will not worship 
them. 
3. I will not accept Gauri, Ganpati etc, belonging to Hindu canon, as 
God /Goddesses and will not worship them. 
4. I do not have any faith in divine incarnation. 5. That the Buddha is the incarnation of Vishnu is a mischievous and 
false Propaganda. I do not believe in it. 
6. I will not perform shraddha Paksh or Pind Dana (Rituals to respect 
the dead). 
7. I will not act contrary to principles and teachings of Buddhism. 
8. I will not get any function performed in which the Brahmin is 
officiating as a Priest. 
9. I believe that all human beings are equal. 
10. I will strive to establish equality. 
11. I will follow the Eightfold path prescribed by the Buddha. 
12. I will abide by the Ten Parmitas prescribed by the Buddha. 
13. I will show loving kindness to all animals and look after them. 
14. I will not commit theft. 
15. I will not commit adultery. 
16. I will not speak lies. 
17. I will not indulge in Liquor Drinking. 
18. I will live my life by relating Pradnya(Knowledge),Sheel(Purity 
of action) and Karuna(Compassion). 
19. I renounce Hinduism; which has proved detrimental to progress and 
prosperity of my predecessors and which has regarded human 
beings as unequal and despicable; and embrace Buddhism. 
20. I have ascertained that Buddhism is Saddamma(Pure way of life). 
21. I believe that this (embracing Buddhism) is my new birth. 
22. I take the Pledge that hereafter I shall live/behave as per the 
teaching of the Buddha.

No comments:

Post a Comment